I had to make some changes to the PictureImport script and that finally got the import to work quite nicely. Here is what I did. Instead of %systemroot% path, which for some reason is creating the problem, I set the script to use the EZT directory as the temporary storage for files. This is the line I used:
Const TEMPNotesMacro = |@RegQueryValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"; "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\EzThumbs.exe"; "Path")|
The path/file access error is generated by a KILL command in the script. Look in the IMPORT section of the PictureImport Script library.
Lines 10 and 11 (counting from the end/bottom).
If you import a JPG file. The temporary file is delete by the first line Kill in_image. Since that file is gone the line kill out_image produces an error, because there is nothing to delete. Also this is why only the last image out of multiple images get's imported, because the list of files is being processed from the last file.
What I have done is rem'ed out the kill out_image, and for my purposes it works like a charm. Now this is not a solution for everyone. Because if you are importing a TIFF file (or a file with a different extension than jpg), you will have two temporary files with different extensions, and only one of them will get deleted at the end. Forcing you to do a manual clean up of the temporary directory.
Since I only imported JPG, this works for me, but it might now work properly if you import something else than JPG.
Hope this helps.